King James Dictionary
1. A sum stated on paper a registry of a debt or credit of debts and credits, or charges an entry in a book or on paper of things bought or sold, of payments, services &c., including the names of the parties to the transaction, date, and price or value of the thing.
Account signifies a single entry or charge, or a statement of a number of particular debts and credits, in a book or on a separate paper and in the plural, is used for the books containing such entries.
2. A computation of debts and credits, or a general statement of particular sums as, the account stands thus let him exhibit his account.
3. A computation or mode of reckoning applied to other things, than money or trade as the Julian account of time.
4. Narrative relation statement of facts recital of particular transactions and events, verbal or written as an account of the revolution in France. Hence,
5. An assignment of reasons explanation by a recital of particular transactions, given by a person in an employment, or to a superior, often implying responsibility.
Give an account of thy stewardship. Luke 16.
Without responsibility or obligation.
He giveth not account of his matters. Job 33.
6. Reason or consideration, as a motive as on all accounts, on every account.
7. Value importance estimation that is, such a state of persons or things, as renders them worthy of more or less estimation as men of account of him. Psalms 144 .
8. Profit advantage that is, a result or production worthy of estimation. To find our account in a pursuit to turn to account.
9. Regard behalf sake a sense deduced from charges on book as on account of public affairs.
Put that to mine account. Philippians 18 .
To make account, that is, to have a pervious opinion or expectation, is a sense now obsolete.
A writ of account, in law, is a writ which the plaintiff brings demanding that the defendant should render his just account, or show good cause to the contrary call also an action of account.
Dictionary of Words from the King James Bible. Public Domain. Copy freely.
Material presented was supplied by Brandon Staggs and was derived from the KJV Dictionary found on his website located at av1611.com.
The unabridged 1828 version of this dictionary in the SwordSearcher Bible Software.
Entry for 'Account'. King James Dictionary. https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/eng/kjd/a/account.html.